Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week 5 Reading Notes



Database article on Wikipedia

I found that this reading overlapped nicely with readings for LIS 2005 this past week. In fact, this Wikipedia article also fed into readings I’ve done for Music 2111 (Research and Bibliography). The overlap occurs here: breaking down database structure into external, conceptual and internal levels.

While I was working at a law firm in Chicago, I interacted with a database called Concordance on a daily basis. It was a bland program, a black screen with fields for information input. I seem to recall that there was red text every now and again, too. Up until this point, I’ve always thought of databases in those terms: mostly monochromatic, lifeless windows into a digital world. The database was simply a digital thing that existed solely on a computer. Now, I think I’m beginning to appreciate databases for what they are: physical collections of history (however mundane or forgettable) that exist somewhere beyond those lifeless windows.

In our reading for LIS 2005, we read an argument that databasing has been a central act in modern society from Proust to IMDB. We create databases of all those things in the world that mean something to us, that allow us to blanket our worlds with meaning. Perhaps it’s the conceptual level of databases that allows us to do this?

When discussing the three levels of databases (external, conceptual and internal), the Wikipedia article mentioned that accuracy is reduced for the sake of clarity—outliers are removed, and the database is pure. (As a side note, this also reminded me a lot of readings for MUSIC 2111, Research and Bibliography, in which it was said that the creation of an effective citation structure is necessarily a conceptual structure where the odd entries, those that don’t fit well in real practice are left out until the transition to physicality necessitates their inclusion.) I find that this is generally a common practice in Library Science, and indeed in any science that seeks to treat or explain large-scale phenomenon— superimposing generalized conceptualizations simply makes it easier to perceive of order.

(And now for something completely different.)

Does anyone have any examples of ‘post-relational database models?’ I’m having a hard time with this one…

Setting the Stage (metadata article)

Is anyone else as fascinated with the idea of user-created metadata, such as tags, as I am? I think it’s the democratization of the classification process that attracts me to it so much. There just seems to be such potential for organically, publicly derived classification systems for data! By allowing user-created metadata derived from an open-ended ability to apply adjectives to an object (say, an emotion-related adjective or a temporal adjective, e.g., ‘morning’ to an artifact that is about neither morning nor emotion directly) can potentially shed so much new light onto the ways that information users interact with artifacts of all types from books, to signs, to images and those things represented in images… This process could yield such a font of data for analysis!

Dublin Core Data Model article

What strikes me the most about this article and the DCDM idea is the linguistic barrier it potentially faces with regard to its ‘internationalization’ goal. Even with a drastically limited set of appropriate, agreed-upon modifiers, it seems likely that linguistic barriers will be met.

It’s an old-hat notion that different languages have different words with different connotations for similar concepts. (There is, for example, no word for ‘home’ in French—there is only the word ‘maison,’ which is the equivalent of ‘house.’ Similar concepts, but different connotations entirely.) Given situations like this, it seems that DCDM would require the use of an artificial language like Esperanto, or else would require acceptance of certain linguistic barriers that cannot be crossed short of widespread possession of multilingual capabilities on the part of catalogers and users.

Maybe this is shortsighted on my part? Too nitpicky?

Furthermore, it seems possible (though I’m not making this point as a whole-hearted supporter of it) that such homogenization of classification protocol could serve to diminish the cultural eccentricities we’ve all come to know, love and study as scholarly researchers. Again, maybe this is only an over-simplification on my part.

How do we establish universal classification schemas without overriding distinct cultural schemas? Is this question an over-reaction? 

8 comments:

  1. Sep. 27 - multimedia representation and storage. Oct. 4 - information organization on database.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Just saw the email from Jeipu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to how you view the database as nothing more than just a bland tool based on your personal experience, I can see why you have such an opinion. In order for any tool or program to garner popularity, not only does it need to be aesthetically pleasing, but also easy to use. You are certainly not the first person ever to look down on a database. Whenever that is the case, most often it is the designers who are to blame for being so out of touch with everyday people. Of course, there is a matter of getting used to the controls, but the designers need to make sure that the users will catch on sooner. I remember when I used to work in the customer sales and services department at an insurance company, the database program we had to use while dealing with the customers was very complicated (i.e. the command and control functions of the program to fulfill the requests of the customers were difficult to locate and operate). We were also given an electronic manual that supposedly shows the employees how the program works, but it was so poorly designed, as if the directions were just thrown in there. Because I majored in business administration with a concentration in information technology, I was able to come up with a way to simplify all this, allowing everyone to get the job done quicker. However, the solution I proposed was rejected, on the grounds that (and I am only paraphrasing) I will end up hurting the feelings of the designers. I am so grateful that I no longer work there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,

    I was also wondering how Dublin Core was going to internationalize data descriptors. That seems like a daunting task. You make a good point about the loss of "cultural eccentricities"in the standardization process. The Dublin Core Initiative is trying to create standardized metadata, but at what expense? Wouldn't misunderstanding and confusion result from removing cultural meaning from a word? I did not really understand the article on Dublin Core. I feel like I would have benefited from majoring in computer science as an undergrad. I don't know if anybody else feels this way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Folksonomy became quite popular through the bookmarking sites. I read that folksonomy tags overlap with keywords generated by users. Social tags could be a future of the Web 2 library. I experimented with del.icio.us, but later switched to the personal search engines and RSS. I tend to think that I save my time and getting information that I am precisely interested. Perhaps, there are other alternatives available of which I am not aware. LibraryThing is another tool that utilizes tags to create personal libraries, share books, and tag bibliographical records. I spent couple of years using this web application and find it useful in the library setting. Tags make it easier to find material, but their application desires a better quality of retrieved material. Speaking about the linguistic nuances, I also think that application of another language might be an option. Esperanto as you mentioned could be a choice. Another language I am aware of that could be used for the semantic web is Gellish, so called, computer language. It is thought that for every language there is a Gellish version (i.e. Gellish English, German, and etc). However, I am concerned with the application of the artificial language and agree with you that it might affect human communication, cognitive process, and language development.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was the conversation about Proust to IMDB all about? I'm curious!

    Also - I think the point about languages and internationalization is really important. Part of what I was wondering about this week was how new semantics are added -- and what happens, perhaps retroactively, to the resources. If the word choices are going to grow and become richer rather than stay limited to the initial set of semantics, as the article seems to indicate, how does this play out when we start adding words with different nuances? Going back to add and change terms doesn't seem feasible, but then again, not revising also seems problematic. Heh. I'm not sure if that question makes any sense! Ironically, I'm tripping up on the new semantics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find your blog intellectually entertaining! It gives me much to aspire to in my own. By asking all of your questions, I am learning more and thinking more openly about the material. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also amazed at how "tagging" or folksonomy has taken off. Sites like wikipedia allow anyone to contribute what they know about a topic so that others may learn more.

    I also think that the Dublin Core project is slowly succeeding in creating internationally recognized language. Also, I think there might be other initiatives such as this, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete